Tuesday 21 April 2009

Quarter Final Winners!

Yes, folks! The Bench production of "Father For Justice" won the Southern Division quarter finals of the All England Theatre Festival and Martin McBride won the Best actor award yet again. It was interesting that the only other nominee was his co-star, Damon Wakelin, so the Bench were on something of a win-win situation there! The adjudicator gave a wonderful adjudication and what he said about the direction made my face glow with pride! I wish now I had asked for a written adjudication as it was really good to have all that praise heaped on my young and inexperienced shoulders. (OK, so the rest of me isn't that young and experienced, but my shoulders are!)

This win will only embolden me to continue my series of directorial guidelines for the new director.

I found support for my theory about choosing a bloody good cast in Brian Moore's column in the Monday Daily Telegraph. I was recommended the Monday Daily Telegraph for its sports/football coverage by a newsagent in the bed opposite when I was in hospital. Moore was writing about the task facing Ian McGeechan as he tries to put together a Lions Squad for the tour to South Africa. The quote which caught my eye was "It is the assembling of the team, not the training, which has the greatest impact on their chances of success."

If you change the word "team" to "cast" and the word "training" to "rehearsals", you will see that it almost replicates my point that the director's utmost priority is choosing the cast. The rehearsals are there to help that cast realise the play. They can be a help or a hindrance!

The Bench now travels to Devon to take part in the semi finals of the All England Theatre Festival as one of the "best of the west" quartet. We look forward to a new challenge!

No comments: