Saturday 27 December 2008

Hamlet 2010

I have started to rework Hamlet in my head as a possible production for the 2010 season. I stopped on the 2008 possibility because I didn't want to do a large scale with excellent principals but shakier acting lower down in the production. My thoughts are working on the idea of what is the smallest cast one can do Hamlet with. One obviously needs a Hamlet but it seems to me that every other part can be doubled or tripled up so that is what I am investigating. I am also working out whether the two actresses playing Ophelia and Gertrude could play male parts elsewhere - in which case couldn't more of the parts be played by women. Alternatively though why not have an all male cast as per Shakespeare's day?
I have also been thinking about "Coriolanus" because one of my favourite actors said he was interested in playing the lead. I remember seeing Ian Richardson play the part in a RSC production at Stratford or the Aldwych many moons ago in tanned body make up and a blonde wig. I think he was killed by a shield press of body length shields and being totally surrounded. Is it "Coriolanus" where Olivier was killed atop an arch several feet above the stage? He allowed himself to fall forward off the arch and two actors had to catch his ankles so he swung upside down in the archway. I think this is a story told by the young Edward Petherbridge who said it was a heavy responsibility to catch the greatest English stage actor of his and probably all time. Olivier refused a safety harness.

No comments: