Thursday 10 July 2008

I have a part!

I have been cast in a Bench production for 2008. I am playing the Badger in the Christmas production of "Wind in the Willows" . I will publish the dates later in this blog. It was a part I wanted and I am looking forward to my first acting role of the year with the Bench. I have tried to interest CCADS in casting me in one of their productions but so far to no avail.

I have also discussed with my pal, David Penrose, the resurrection of Cunning Plan in 2009, as a touring theatre for two middle aged actors and actress. We have a few ideas on that score, which I will keep up my sleeve for the moment ,in case someone else thinks they are worth copying.

2009 season is the 40th Anniversary of the Bench Theatre, with which I have been associated for 36 years. The group is doing "Old Times" in February, "Closer" in April, "Road" in July, a Brand New Play in September and "What the Butler Saw" in December. The first two productions will have no parts for me and although I like working backstage - as witnessed by this year - I do prefer to tread the boards, luvvies. The last three may or may not have parts for me but I shall be auditioning, even though I played Dr Rance in our last production of "What the Butler Saw" back in 1984. I was younger then (37 to be precise) and was playing above my range. I am just about the right age now of course. However as I have stated elsewhere this is a farce and farces are real hard work - do I have the stamina, the strength, the will power? - oh f***, of course I do! Talent will out, children!

I am also looking forward to seeing Bob in "Crave" in a couple of weeks as part of the Bench double bill July 2008 production. She has suggested directing a full length monologue with yours truly that made me drool on reading the script. There is a slight delay this year in the availability of amateur rights so hopefully this will be another project for 2009. Good on yer, Bob!

No comments: